January 2, 2010

Tales in Painting, Chapter 2

In the spirit of the new year I thought I'd post the second installment of Tales in Painting bringing forth renewal and resolution, all thanks to a couple cans of semi gloss white paint.  These twin side chairs were far from beautiful when they posed for their "before" photographs in the bright San Diego sun.  The dull fruity wood frame subtracted from their sunny yellow original upholstery, leaving you with a blah set of chairs destined for either a thrift store corner or a fraternity lawn.  Although I was a bit discouraged with my initial perception, their redeeming qualities consisted of the amazing condition of the upholstery and the retro frame design (minus that ugly frutiness).






The next step toward renewal was to sand down the frames in order for the new paint coat to set:




 


Two paint coats later, Julien and I were very proud of the final products!  Sadly we are no longer the proud parents of such fabulously recovered patients.  However, they were placed in a loving home, with a nice adoption fee I might add!


 

 

 



What a difference white paint can make!  Look at how the upholstery comes to life next to the bright white frame, securing these chairs a place far far away from the once inevitable fraternity lawn, phew!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are fabulous! I can't wait to see what North Carolina offers.

Fifty and Fabulous.....ALMOST! said...

You have an amazing ability to see past outward appearances! keep up your restoration adventures. I can't wait to see what's next!

Unknown said...

Really cool joj! Good job and I can't wait for the next one!!