October 28, 2009

Tales in Painting, Chapter 1

Once upon a time I used to underestimate the power of paint. Though it abounds in many a color, paint seemed too simple a change for any drastic impact to be achieved. That is, until I laid eyes on this dresser...it became clear to me that this sad piece of teenage experimentation art ("art" might be totally stretching it) needed resuscitating, tout de suite!





























What I am ashamed to admit is that this disaster was of my own hand, albeit during my teenage years, even so what was I thinking?!  And to give credit where credit is due, my sister gleefully egged me on with my "bright" ideas and probably even lent a helping hand with the intentionally lacking extra paint coat (if you look closely you might even catch a glimpse of the white brush marks peeking through the kelly green facade, which seemed oh so innovative at the time).  I should've realized my failings upon the movement of this piece into the family garage, where it very efficiently housed various personal and household hygiene products out of sight, out of mind.


However, this dresser's existence was re-affirmed last year when my mother decided that it didn't warrant the space it would consume in the moving truck.  So bye bye mom, hello new-old-ugly dresser.  By this time I was well into my search and restore mode for all things furniture, and now I had a new patient with exciting possibilities...on your marks, get set, paint! 


And without further ado, bid welcome to one of my very first FT patients (post-op of course): 



A clean & simple finish in a Tiffany Blue-ish color playfully mingles with vintage inspired drawer knobs from Anthropologie (one of my faves for furnishings & accessories, not to mention the clothes!), topped off with pictures of my boys. 



*      *      *

*      *      *



This patient had an amazing recovery if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Just my color too :) Half the stuff in my place matches it. I wish I could have shown you before photos of our vintage sectional.

Fifty and Fabulous.....ALMOST! said...

I knew that poor little chest had potential the day we bought it at a garage sale in Hesperia, CA!